Sanitary Sewer Lateral Program
Sewer Lateral Insurance
The City of Creve Coeur insures sewer laterals for homes in the city up to 80%, not to exceed $7,500. A sewer lateral is the pipe that carries household waste to the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) sewer main. This program only covers the portion of pipe that carries household waste from the house connection to the sewer main. A sewer line located under any part of a building or a break inside your home is not covered. For more information, call Public Works at (314) 872-2533.
Sewer Lateral Line Breaks
When a sewer lateral line breaks, sewage typically backs up into the home or yard and areas in the yard collapse where the damaged section of the pipe is located. If you believe your sewer line is broken, there are a few steps you need to take before filing a claim with the city.
What to Do
- Contact a plumber or sewer cleaning service to have them clean the pipe. This is a home maintenance expense and is not reimbursable by the city.
- If cleaning does not solve the problem, you should file a claim with the city.
- In order to file a claim, you first need to obtain a video tape inside the pipe and submit to the PW department along with the application.
- If this video shows that the line requires repair or replacement, you must obtain three repair bids and submit them to the city.
- The city will review the bid documents and recommend a contractor to perform the work.
- It is then the responsibility of the homeowner to enter into the agreement with the contractor.
- Upon completion of the work, the homeowner must submit copies of the following:
- Sanitary Sewer Lateral Application
- A receipt showing payment to the contractor
- A receipt showing all real estate taxes for the current year are paid in full at the homeowners address
- Paid real estate tax bill for the current year at the address of the repairs
- A lien waiver from the contractor
- A completed permit from St. Louis County Plumbing Department
- Copies of all the bids received
- Upon receipt of all required documents, the city will reimburse the property owner 80% of the cost of all repairs, up to a maximum of $7,500. Prior to the reimbursement, any and all city bills, such as weed invoices, permits and copies and the current year St. Louis County real estate taxes must be paid in full.