Chief Building Official
300 N. New Ballas Rd.
Phone: (314) 872-2513
The Building Code Board of Appeals consists of five members who serve a three-year term.
Primary powers and duties of the Board include situations when:
- The decision of the building official is not consistent with the true intent of the building code
- The provisions of the building code have been incorrectly interpreted
- The provisions of the building code do not apply
- A proposed equivalent level of safety needs to be evaluated
The Board decides whether to uphold, reverse or modify the decision of the building official by a majority vote. The Board may not waive a building code requirement.
Initiating an Appeal
To initiate an appeal you must:
- Either have been denied a building permit or challenged a code interpretation of the plans examiner or field inspector.
- Submit a letter to the Chief Building Official requesting that the Building Code Board of Appeals be assembled.
- Submit a filing fee of $150 to the Building Department. The filing fee will be refunded if the board reverses the decision of the Chief Building Official.
If you have any questions or to check the status of an appeal, please contact the Building Department at (314) 872-2500.
To find out more about the roles and guidelines of appointed and elected City positions, read A Citizens Advisory Guide to Boards, Committees and Commissions
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Building Code Board of Appeals, apply online